How to protect your personal information online
We've recently announced our partnership with STOP. THINK. CONNECT. to empower and educate digital citizens how to stay safe and secure online.
They shared some great tips how to protect your personal information online, similar to the miiCard blog posts:
- Secure your accounts: Ask for protection beyond passwords. Many account providers now offer additional ways for you verify who you are before you conduct business on that site.
- Make passwords long and strong: Combine capital and lowercase letters with numbers and symbols to create a more secure password. We’ve recently posted some security tips here.
- Unique account, unique password: Separate passwords for every account helps to thwart cybercriminals. You can use password manager to store multiple passwords online. For more information on choosing secure password see this tip.
- Write it down and keep it safe: Everyone can forget a password. Keep a list that’s stored in a safe, secure place away from your computer. Remember that collecting personal data is a common tactic criminals use to steal your identity, be sure to shred any documents containing your personal information, here's our advice on keeping personal information offline.
- Own your online presence: When available, set the privacy and security settings on websites to your comfort level for information sharing. It’s fine to limit who you share information with. Here is our advice on how to manage your presence on the web.
Is there anything else you think should be mentioned on this list? Please let us know in the comments section below.